How to find comments and remove tracking changes in .NET?

Hi,

I have a test file (docx) and I’m trying to test the library a little for a future implementation of Metadata cleaning for our products.

The basic elements as Author and CreatioDate are fairly easy to clean. However, the library can’t seem to find comments that are left by users in the document. I also don’t know how I can remove Tracking Changes. And is there a way to clean statistics as well?

best,

Hi,

Thanks for using GroupDocs.Metadata for .NET

GroupDocs.Metadata is a totally back-end UI independent API that is fully capable of handling metadata of a document. Since you have asked about cleaning the comments and statistics of a .docx file; both of which are builtin properties of a Word Document, I can assure you that the API can help you in removing your requisite document properties.

Please have a look at the “Removing Built-in Document Properties” section of the following link, hope this resource will prove out to be helpful in understanding how document properties are removed/reset using the API.

For further details about the features of GroupDocs.Metadata, please go through the API’s documentation.
You can also download the gihub project containing some examples of the API that will help you in understanding the API’s working.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards

"Please have a look at the “Removing Built-in Document Properties” section of the following link, hope this resource will prove out to be helpful in understanding how document properties are removed/reset using the API."

The link apears to be dead.

The code I am using is from the example project. What I am unable to test is that it removes the comments because the library is unable to extract the comments to begin with and I am unable to update the document without a license it seems. Is there a trial license available?

Before cleaning “docFormat.ExtractComments();” returns an empty array instead of the comments I added in Word 2016. Even the built-in metadata is not showing all values. (Test file as attachment).

Metadata properties of the testfile:
meta1.PNG & meta2.PNG

Code used to open file:
Breakpoint.PNG <-- breakpoint set before cleaning metadata.

Watcher inspection on properties object:
watcher.PNG

Sample Project:
MimeTypeIdentifier.zip

Visual Studio 2013 Ultimate
WinForms application targeting .NET Framework 4.5
Groupdocs.Metadata 17.1.0.0 as NuGet package

I hope this gives you all the information needed to get me started. Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks for coming back.

I have seen the Sample Project you attached. Since, you are running the project in trial mode with no license, only first 5 properties of the document metadata can be read. For further details about what are the limitations you will face while using the trial version of the GroupDocs.Metadata API please follow this link. Once you have a license, you can fetch your requisite properties using the very same code you have been using already.

You can request a temporary
license to test the functionality of GroupDocs.Metadata in full mode.
Please feel free to visit below page for details on getting a temporary
license:

https://www.groupdocs.com/corporate/purchase/purchase-policies/temporary-license

Moreover, we apologize if the link didn’t work. I have added the link again. Hope this time you wont face any difficulty visiting it.

Please give a try to GroupDocs.Metadata with a temporary license and let us know in case you find something ambiguous.

Best Regards,

Hi Rida,

Thank you so much for the explanation. I will request a temp license for my tests.
The licensing for this product, are those lifetime licenses or is it an anual license?

My situation is:

Right now one developer, maybe more in the future. The library will be used in an application that wil run in our cloud and on premise for some customers, so I guess multiple sites.

One more question: Am I able to delete tracked changes in the documents as well?

Thanks

Hi,

You have asked a couple of questions, so I’ll address them gradually:
1- The licensing for this product, are those lifetime licenses or is it an annual license?
The license is valid for a year, after that you need to renew your subscription. Without a subscription you can still use the product and get support, but you do not get new features or bug fixes. More information about subscription renewal can be found here.

2- You talk about your situation; mulitple developers and multiple sites
GroupDocs/Aspose licenses are based on the number of developers and the location where the components will be used. So you can decide according to your needs. The details about the license types can be found here.

3- Am I able to delete tracked changes in the documents as well?
Yes you can remove tracked changes in the document as well.

Let us know in case you find something missing or ambiguous.
Best Regards,

rida.fatima:
Hi,

3- Am I able to delete tracked changes in the documents as well?
Yes you can remove tracked changes in the document as well.

Could you point me to the place in the documentation where this is covered? I can't seem to find it in the docs or when inspecting the DocFormat or DocMetadata while debugging.

My goal is to either Approve all changes, Deny all changes or leave them. But definitely remove the name of the Change maker. Please see attached image.

Thanks!

Hi,

I sincerely apologize for misunderstanding your question, when you said you wanted to delete the tracked changes, I thought you were talking about the Document properties such as Last modified, Revision number etc and hence I replied with a yes, for GroupDocs.Metadata is fully capable of doing this.

As far as dealing with tracking the changes in a document is concerned, I regret to inform you that GroupDocs.Metadata does not support this feature yet. However, I have requested for this feature and I hope it will be included soon in the upcoming releases.

Moreover, one of the Aspose products i-e Aspose.Words is fully capable of dealing with tracking the changes in a document. One solution could be using Aspose.Words for .NET API for implementing your required functionality. Please have a look at “Manage Tracking Changes” section of this link for further details.

I apologize for the inconvenience.
Best Regards,

Hi,

We are glad to inform you that GroupDocs.Metadata for .NET API is now capable of dealing with tracking the changes/revisions in a document. From version 17.05 on wards, we have introduced this feature where a user can not only read the revisions in a word document but can also accept or reject these revisions. Please visit the following link for further details about this feature:
Working with metadata in WordProcessing documents | Documentation

We hope this feature will prove out to be useful to you and will be able to fulfill your requirements.
Looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,