Document viewer API support for fillable PDFs in WinForms .NET

I am trying the Trial version of groupdocs viewer for .net (winforms) and i’m having 2 problems.

1. I am unable to get the viewer user control in the form. I added the .dll reference but there is no GroupDocs.Winforms namespace available. I looked at your link for how to use groupdocs in winforms app and it doesn’t make any sense.

2. Does groupdocs.viewer for winforms support fillable .pdfs

Thank you,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for taking interest in GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET.

First of all, I want to brief you a little about how the API works. GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET (starting from version 3.0.0) is a back-end document processing API that renders the supported document formats into either HTML pages or images (as per your choice). You will have to create your own front end application in order to view these HTML pages or images. As it is a back-end API, it does not provide any front end control to view the rendered pages. The API can be integrated in variety of .NET applications (web forms, win forms, web services etc.).

Secondly, yes, GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET supports rendering of fillable PDF documents.

We have also created some sample open source document viewer applications using GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET to demonstrate how the API works with front end applications. You can download, use and modify these applications as per your needs. Listed below are the applications along with the download links.

You can also evaluate all the features of the API one by one using the Examples project. Some useful resources for getting started with the API are:

If you would have any other questions, please do let us know.

Warm Regards

Hi,

Could you please provide me with a simple but complete .net Winforms project that loads a pdf into a Winform to display.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response.

Currently, the document viewer application in .NET Windows Forms is not available. Therefore, I have logged your request in GitHub issues as Issue #107. However, we can not declare any ETA for this at the moment. In case we have any updates, we’ll inform you here.

Have a nice day.

Warm Regards

Hi,

I would also like a simple example of a Winforms project that loads a pdf into a Winform, using GroupDocs.Viewer. I was originally interested in using Aspose to accomplish this, but it looks like that cannot be done. Instead, Aspose recommends using GroupDocs.Viewer to accomplish this goal. There are several Aspose forum posts where this recommendation is made.

However, in the thread above, you mention that GroupDocs is a “back-end document processing API that renders the supported document formats into either HTML pages or images”. So, I’m just a bit confused. Can GroupDocs.Viewer display a PDF on a WinForm (as recommended by Aspose), or does it first have to render the document to HTML and then display the HTML instance on a WinForm?

Finally, in response to Andy’s post, do you have an ETA on his request?

Thank you very much

@DeckerWuzHere,

Yes, your understanding is correct. GroupDocs.Viewer does not directly display the documents. Instead, it renders the document pages as HTML pages or images and then you can display the rendered pages in your application. You may have a look at the following documentation articles to know about how to render a document:

I am afraid that, at the moment, we don’t have any ETA for sample WinForms document viewer application. However, you can download this simple demo that shows how to use GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET in a WinForms application for viewing documents. I hope it helps.

@agifford1
@DeckerWuzHere

Please download WinForms application here.