Annotation Storage Options

I’m evaluating the GroupDocs.Annotation product for use within our product line. All the examples I’ve been able to find use SQL Server as the storage medium for annotation data, but that approach will not work in our application due to security and architectural constraints.

I would like to know if there is a way we can use a repository of our own choosing to store the annotations, or if we’re stuck using SQL Server as a backing store (perhaps something similar to the Stream() method for the document source).

Thanks,

Ed Mays
Software Engineer
LexisNexis

Hello Ed,

Thank you for your interest in GroupDocs. Yes, GroupDocs.Annotation supports only SQL based DataBases (MsSQL, MySQL, CompactSQL etc.) to store annotations, users etc. and also Annotation can work with the streams as document source. Here is a code example for it .Stream(Stream stream, string fileName) and here is how it looks like in the project source.

Best regards.

Hi Pavel,

Thank you for the follow up.

Are there any plans to expand storage options for annotations in the future? I ask because we really like your product, but directly connecting to SQL-backed storage is an approach that we will never be able to use in our environment, no matter what SQL engine is used - we do not permit direct connections to any backing stores from client-facing code.

Most of the other imaging toolkits we have investigated have offered a way to store/load annotations via a web api call or other indirect storage scheme, I’m surprised that GroupDocs does not offer a similar option.

Thanks again,

-Ed

Hi Ed,

Yes, we have such plans for the brand new Annotation library which will be released in the next year. Unfortunately I can’t share more info about it currently because this library is in development. So please stay tuned and we will notify you when it will be available.

Sorry for the inconvenience.