Are there any plans to support HEIC format?

I’ve seen that this question has been asked already two years ago.
https://forum.groupdocs.com/t/support-of-heic-format/7184

I was wondering if the state is still unchanged, or if there are any plans to support HEIC now?

@Clemens_Pestuka

Unfortunately, there are no plans to add HEIC file format support due to strict licensing conditions.

1 Like

:frowning: understood.
Thank you for checking :slight_smile:

@Clemens_Pestuka

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Is this still the case, as this is going to force us off of Groupdocs viewer because most photographic evidence is supplied to our applications direct from phones (which are mainly iphones)

@bboyce

Unfortunately, we do not have plans to support this file format due to the issues with licensing and possible risks. Please check the following quote from Wikipedia:

The combined licensing fees currently offered by all of the patent licensing bodies are higher than for AVC. The licensing fees are one of the main reasons HEVC adoption has been low on the web…

Source: High Efficiency Video Coding - Wikipedia

Thanks Vladimir, youve just answered my follow up questions on the other trhead I posted to as well. Thanks

@bboyce

Yes, let’s continue in Does the GroupDocs Viewer support .HEIF files yet ? if not any idea when

We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): VIEWERNET-4147

You can obtain Paid Support services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.