ASP.NET Core MVC support for document Viewer API

Are there plans to support ASP.NET Core MVC?

Hi Hendrix,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Our next generation GroupDocs APIs (starting from version 3.0.0) are totally beck-end document manipulation and rendering APIs, independent of any front end frameworks or design patterns. You can integrate our .NET APIs in a variety of applications (web applications, desktop applications, web-services etc) based on .NET Framework 2.0 or later without any other dependencies.

In case of any other queries, please feel free to contact us again.

Warm Regards

Hi Hendrix,

I would like to add more to my colleague.

If your question is about open source .NET core, then this is to let you know that our product teams are keeping an eye on the progress at .NET Core development. At the moment, .NET Core lacks some graphic features from System.Drawing namespace of .NET Framework which are essentially used by our products for rendering purpose. Due to this limitation, our products can’t support .NET Core at the moment. However, if the situation changes in future, .NET Core can be supported in future but it is hard to confirm at this stage.

Hope it clarifies our position. In case, you have more questions, please feel free to raise with us.

Kind Regards

Yes, I was referring to .Net Core. Thank you for the update.

It would be helpful to see an example Viewer and Annotation front end created in ASP.NET Core that makes calls to a standard .NET Framework based ASP.NET Web API where the Groupdocs libraries are hosted to do all of the document processing.

I assume this is a valid use case, correct?

If so, is it likely an example application will be published?

Hi Hendrix,

Thanks for coming back.

Currently, we do not have any sample application matching your scenario. However. I have logged your request in our issue tracking system. We shall look into it and in case of any further updates, we’ll notify you. Please stay tuned with us.

Warm Regards

Hi,

As last reply has been sometime ago and .NET Core is now in version 2.0, can I check again if GroupDocs products support .NET Core currently?

@ho.riyadi

Thanks for coming back. We are afraid that still some certain features, that are required by our products, are not supported in .NET Core. Therefore, at the moment, GroupDocs products do not support this framework. However, .NET Core support is one of our priorities for the next couple of years. In case we get any useful information in this regard, we’ll surely share that with you.

Are you supporting .NET CORE 2.0 now?

@bijupmathew,

Thanks for contacting support.

I am afraid that we are not supporting .NET Core at the moment. However, we have the plans for its support in the future. Please stay tuned to our blog for the updates.

Hi
It’s been a year now, is there any update of the support for .Net Core?

Thanks

@Rob.needham,

We are planning to support .NET Core by the end of 2019, however, we can’t promise you the ETA.

Any updates on this? .NET Core 3.0 has been released.

@zeeshan1,

Our development activities to support .NET Core are in progress (logged as VIEWERNET-1904). We shall notify you here as well as announce it on our blog once the support is available. We appreciate your patience in this regard.

The support of .NET Standard 2.0 (filed as VIEWERNET-1904) has been added in this update. This message was posted using Bugs notification tool by usman.aziz

1 Like

Hi ,

By following the demo application in this link, we made a sample viewer application with .net core mvc. Do you have a javascript, css interface file for this application?

Thank you.

@kenankocer

The response has been provided in .Net Core MVC Sample Application - #4 by vladimir.litvinchik.

@kenankocer

Today, we have published GroupDocs.Viewer.UI package that simplifies integration GroupDocs.Viewer into .NET Core web-applications.

Integration steps:

1. Install packages
dotnet add package GroupDocs.Viewer.UI
dotnet add package GroupDocs.Viewer.UI.SelfHost.Api
dotnet add package GroupDocs.Viewer.UI.Api.Local.Storage
dotnet add package GroupDocs.Viewer.UI.Api.Local.Cache
  1. Add configuration code to your Startup:
public class Startup
{
    public void ConfigureServices(IServiceCollection services)
    {
        services
            .AddGroupDocsViewerUI();

services
            .AddControllers()
            .AddGroupDocsViewerSelfHostApi(config =>
            {
                config.SetLicensePath("c:\\licenses\\GroupDocs.Viewer.lic");
            })
            .AddLocalStorage("./Files")
            .AddLocalCache("./Cache");
    }

public void Configure(IApplicationBuilder app, IWebHostEnvironment env)
    {
        app
            .UseRouting()
            .UseEndpoints(endpoints =>
            {
                endpoints.MapGroupDocsViewerUI(options =>
                {
                    options.UIPath = "/viewer";
                    options.APIEndpoint = "/viewer-api";
                });

endpoints.MapGroupDocsViewerApi(options =>
                {
                    options.ApiPath = "/viewer-api";
                });
            });
    }
}
  1. Run the app and navigate to /viewer in your browser.

Please check this sample_app.zip (152.4 KB) and GitHub - groupdocs-viewer/GroupDocs.Viewer-for-.NET-UI: UI - User Interface for GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET document viewer and automation API. repository for more details.

Hi,

I cannot download the sample_app.zip file because I am not authorized. Can you check?

You have presented 2 different solutions, which way should I go?

the first is to use the GroupDocs.Viewer.UI package
The second is the following way.

Please check net_core_app.zip (1.3 MB) that is a rough copy of GroupDocs.Viewer-for-.NET-MVC app. It uses the latest version of GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET 21.6 but you can try using 19.10 with it. I’m using 21.6 as there are many issues fixed since 19.10 so the latest version is performing better.

@kenankocer

Please check the response at .Net Core MVC Sample Application - #11 by vladimir.litvinchik