Build Document Viewer for Web Application

I am building an basic document management system as a web application that has some simple functionalities for now. One element I’d get a kick out of the chance to coordinate into the application would be the capacity for the client to see a record on the site page itself without downloading it. Since the documents are put away on a private local server, is there in any case to pull it up and see it straightforwardly on the website page (like a homemade version of the document embed-er on Scribd)?

It doesn’t need to be anything complicated, just a simple one that enables client to get a see of the document. It’s a php based web application. Google searches are giving back suggestions to use CrocDocs and GroupDocs which both require that you first upload the files onto their system. Snowbound viewer isn’t free for use. I’ve also seen suggestions recommending a homemade one using OpenOffice and JODConverter plus iframe, this seems like a great solution, but it wasn’t very thorough.

@gracylayla,

Thanks for posting your inquiry to our forum.

The most suitable solution for document viewer in your scenario is GroupDocs.Viewer for Cloud. GroupDocs.Viewer Cloud can not only be used with any language or platform which supports HTTP requests and responses, but it can also be used with many third-party cloud storage providers including Amazon S3, Google Cloud, Google Drive and DropBox. Hence, if you are not comfortable with uploading documents to GroupDocs cloud storage then you can use any 3rd party storage services you are comfortable with (see How to Use 3rd Party Storages). For more details, please visit the documentation.

Another option for you is to develop your own service using any of our standalone APIs, GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET or GroupDocs.Viewer for Java. That service can be deployed on the same server where the documents are located. The service will simply render the requested document and send the document pages (in the form of HTML pages or images) back to the requesting web application. In the end, you will display the HTML pages or images to the client.

In case you would have any other questions or queries, please feel free to let us know.

1 Like