Comparer.Compare does not terminate when comparing documents

Hello!

Our product is using GroupDocs.Comparison to compare different versions of a document. One of our customers currently has problem with comparison of a few different documents. The comparison starts, but never terminates. The customer is also experiencing memory leakage related to this which eventually leads to the application crashing. I made a simple console app to isolate the problem, but the same error still occurs. I provide the code from my console app and three documents that cause the issue.

LicenseHandler.SetLicense();

const string loadPath1 = @"Documents\08456-1.docx";
const string loadPath2 = @"Documents\08456-2.docx";
const string outputPath = @"Output\08456-result.docx";

var compareOptions = new CompareOptions
{
    DetectStyleChanges = false,
    GenerateSummaryPage = false
};

using var doc1 = new FileStream(loadPath1, FileMode.Open);
using var doc2 = new FileStream(loadPath2, FileMode.Open);
using var comparer = new Comparer(doc1);
comparer.Add(doc2);
using var outputStream = File.Create(outputPath);
comparer.Compare(outputStream, compareOptions);

Link to documents: https://canea-my.sharepoint.com/:f:/g/personal/tomas_odin_canea_se/EpJeS-Uoo_pCseZLVyCU0QYB4x2KU1LdLTtT9cn85xOMFQ?e=1G67iF

I have also tried the online comparison tool and it also does not produce any result - Compare files online | Free GroupDocs Apps

We need a fix/solution to this problem.

We would also like to know if there is anything within the documents that causes the problem so that we could let our customer know a potential temporary work around.

We hope you can assist us with a solution!

1 Like

@lars.olsson

Could you please also share this console application? Also specify the development environment details (e.g. OS and .NET versions).

I added the project as a zip file in the shared folder that is linked above. It is a .NET 6 project and my own machine is runs Windows 11. We have reproduced the error in multiple Windows environments.

@lars.olsson
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): COMPARISONNET-3379

You can obtain Paid Support services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

1 Like

HI, do you have any updates on this issue? or any information of what data in the file that causes the problem?

Br
Lars

@lars.olsson

COMPARISONNET-3379 is resolved. We’ll soon share ETA of the new release.

1 Like

Thanks, This is a major issues for one of our clients.

Do you have any prognosis of the release?

Do you have any information of what in the files that causes the error?

Best Regards

@lars.olsson

The fix is expected to be released in API version 23.3. As the download package gets on-board, we’ll notify you.

1 Like

Thanks, since this is a major issue for several of our clients it would be mush appreciated if we could get more information regarding the issue. Can you please help us with that?

• What causes the problem in the comparisons that fail?
  • In some cases we have seen that the issue causes a memory leakage that eventually will make the entire server crash. Have you seen this behaviors’? And what factors can cause this critical failure?

Bets regards
Lars

The issues you have found earlier (filed as COMPARISONNET-3379) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using Bugs notification tool by anton.samarskyy

@lars.olsson

There was an internal problem with the processing of certain types of images. However, the issue is now fixed.

Is it possible for you to release a hotfix for this issue in a previous release. We have affected customers on the 22.6.0, 22.8.0 and the 22.11.0 release?

Minimizing the impact would help us a lot!

Best regards

@lars.olsson

We will create a hotfix for these versions (a new ticket is created for this task COMPARISONNET-3433). You’ll be notified in case of any update.

1 Like

@lars.olsson

Below are the requested hotfixes:

Hotfix for 22.11 is still in process.

1 Like

Thanks!

I noted that the hotpatch is available only on nuget-test. Will it be published also on your official channel?

Best regards
Lars

@lars.olsson

Please download 22.11 hotfix.

We are not planed to do this because this is a user-specific hotfix.

1 Like