Convert PDF to TIFF get null error

Downloaded your sample code, changed ToImageSampleConversion.convertToFile(…) code line 31 from:

imageSaveOptions.setSaveFileType(ImageSaveOptions.PNG);
to:
imageSaveOptions.setSaveFileType(ImageSaveOptions.TIFF);

Run the code, got below result:
--------------------------------------------------
Sep 15, 2015 11:49:30 PM com.groupdocs.conversion.b.b.a a
SEVERE: Invalid license file, starting up evaluation mode.
PDF
Sep 15, 2015 11:49:36 PM com.groupdocs.conversion.handler.ConversionHandler convertToImage
SEVERE: null
null
----------------------------------------------------

Please help fix this issue asap. We need this conversion feature to be working asap in order to make project timeline.

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for your inquiry.

We have managed to reproduce the same issue at our side with our demo sample. Our Product team was informed about it and we created a ticket in our system (CONVERSIONJAVA-99 - "Can't convert .pdf to .tiff"). When we will have any news from our Product team about this issue, we will notify you.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

http://groupdocs.com
Your Document Collaboration APIs
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google+

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CONVERSIONJAVA-113) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by GroupDocs Notifier.
Hello again,

Seems that the issue depends on that, that you have tried to convert your file without license file. We have checked our sample with license file and we not get this issue anymore. But ,our Product team will investigate the issue with license and will fix it .

As temporary solution we can propose you - add the license file to the sample and try again . If you will get the issue again then please share with us your file example and we will investigate it .

We apologize for the inconvenience.

------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

It’s not license issue. The same sample file works for PNG and JPG; but failed for TIFF.

When reply, please add Anil_Kumar_Mittur_Ve@Dell.com to the email.

Regards,

Catherine

Hello,

Thank you for your notified.

Yes, you are right, it is not license issue and our product team have fixed this issue already. This issue will be released in our next version of this library, that will be released in the end of this month .

Also we have added mentioned user's email for all replies in this thread.

------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

Hello,

We use GroupDocs Java API to convert various format of documents into TIFF document. We reported a few issues, most of them had been fixed. However, we can only get the fix in the next release by the end of the month. Right now, we are in a very critical phase of system integration test. We need to verify the conversion function asap.

I would like to request to get the beta version of your next release and verify our issues had been fixed. Please provide the needful so we can continue with our testing.

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for using GroupDocs.Conversion for Java.

We have discussed with our product team and they said that we can share with you our demo version of this library only on the next week, because our product team, still works on some important issues without which we can't share with you the beta version.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

As I mentioned earlier, it is critical that we get the fixed version asap. We also concern about if the new version will have further issue, then we will not have enough time to wait for the next version in another month.

We respect your procedures. I would appreciate it very much if you could help us make a few test using your latest version.

I will upload some doc, docx, pdf documents. Please use your latest API (with all fixes) to make sure we can convert them into TIFF successfully. We had reported a couple of issues. I will upload documents for all scenarios. We will need your help to confirm:
1) All files uploaded can be converted into TIFF without error.
Please send back converted TIFF back to us.
2) Conversion should complete in 1-2 minutes; not 30 minutes.
3) Please take note of original file size and converted file size. We got a few hundred KB original file converted to 11 MB file. Please advise how to keep the converted file size to be small.

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for your files examples.

We have sent your files to our product team . They will investigate and test them on new version of the Conversion library. We will notify you, when we will have any news.

About file size - you can try to reduce the width and height for converted TIFF files via the ImageSaveOptions class . Just try to set these parameters for example:
imageSaveOptions.setWidth(600);
imageSaveOptions.setHeight(800);

And after conversion you will get the files with reduced size. At this moment, this is only way to reduce file size for converted files.

--------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

I appreciate your help. Please let us know the test result. Please also provide demo version of the library once it’s ready for us to perform test against.

As for the file size change. We tried your suggestion to use imageSaveOptions to set width and height. This reduced the converted file size. Before the change, a 547 KB 17 page PDF document was converted into 135 MB TIFF; with the change, it is now converted to 35 MB TIFF. The file size is still huge, but smaller than before. So there is no more options to further reduce the size?

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for coming back.

We have attached conversion results of files to this thread. You can download them and check . The conversion of these files take up less 10 sec on our side.

Also we have prepared beta version of the GroupDocs.Conversion library for you and you can download it from here to conduct your tests.

About your file size question - at this moment you can configure only width and height parameters for file, but we have reported your issue to our Product team and created a ticket in our system (CONVERSION JAVA-106). The Product team will try to add this feature to new versions of the library and you will be able to reduce file size yet better. Maybe this feature will be available in 1.3.0 version, but we not sure. Anyway you will get a notification in this forum thread , when this feature will be available.

If you will have more questions please feel free to contact us.

--------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

Hi,

I tried to download the beta version of conversion library, but the link does not bring me to the right place. Please provide the correct link for downloading.

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

We are sorry for this misunderstanding. Please try to use this link.

---------

Best regards,

Evgen Efimov

I verified the 1.3.0 beta version. It now can convert word document without issue. We will continue testing tomorrow. Will update you if any issues found.

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello again,

We glad to hear, that your previous issue was resolved with this beta-version of the Conversion library.

Yes sure , if you will have more questions please feel free to contact us.

--------

Best regards,

Evgen Efimov

The demo API works well so far. However, the conversion is resource intensive, we plan to perform some load testing.

Because we got OutOf MemoryError with the previous release, I am concerned about memory usage and converted file size. As I reported, with the set width and height change, the converted file size reduced, but the size still very big.

I have a 2 page 16 KB PDF being converted to a 6 MB TIFF using Java Conversion API. When I used your cloud app, the same PDF document was converted to 300 KB TIFF. Does this sound right? Do you use different conversion code for Cloud app than Java API? Do you think we can further reduce the converted file size using Java code - considering the cloud app can convert it to a much smaller size?

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

Thank you for your request.

As we mentioned earlier, we have discussed your issue (big file size after conversion) with our Product team and they will investigate it and will try to implement this improvement in next versions of the library. We are sorry, but at this moment you can't to reduce the file size after conversion. You can use only another values for width and height for converted file.

About GroupDocs.Conversion for Cloud App - this product is very different from GroupDocs.Conversion for Java stand alone library, this product uses another approach in conversion. You can use our GroupDocs.Conversion for Cloud App with our Java SDK in your web application, but in such case you will need to work with GroupDocs for Cloud and store your files on our server. For this you can try our GroupDocs.Conversion for Cloud App on trial and maybe buy one of our plan if it works for you .

-------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov

Hi Evgen,

Thanks for the explanation! Is it feasible to have this improvement by early November?

I hope we will not run into OutOfMemory issue when volume goes up. I think the converted file size is one of the contributors for memory usage. We run GroupDocs conversion API in Tomcat web server. The conversion feature is the only cusom application running on the web server. Is JVM settings of "-Xms8192m -Xmx8192m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m" reasonable for 10 concurrent conversion with input file size less than 5 MB each?

Thanks!
Catherine

Hello Catherine,

We have good news for you.

Our Product team have implemented this improvement for 1.3.0 version of the GroupDocs.Conversion library, that will be released very soon. But we can share our beta version of the library with you at this moment . You can download it from here, to conduct your tests.

In this version was added new parameter "resolution" to ImageSaveOptions class. This parameter can accept any values in .ppi, as default values we have set it as 72. It is minimum recommended values for monitors. If you will be need to print these documents you can set this paramether as :

imageSaveOptions.setResolution(300);

About your JVM settings - yes, we think that your values are optimal for these settings, but you can also increase your MaxPermSize to 512m. But we can't argue that this is the final values.

-------

Best regards,
Evgen Efimov