Decent tutorial and/or upgrade-path

Hello,

Since early this year, we’re using your API GroupDocs.Viewer. We currently have it working, but on the 2.17.0 version.

Of course, we want to upgrade to the new version (with hopefully some fixes with stuff we have admitted to you), but… there doesn’t seem to be any decent documentation on what has changed, how to build with the new DLL and if the same functionality is still working (converting and showing on a website).

It’s nice that there are some examples to download, but my visual studio can’t open them properly; they keep giving me errors.

There is only 1 thing we want (and why we bought the API): Converting basic office files into a ‘protected’ webpage. Is this still possible?

Hope to hear from you and get my frustration out of the way.

Thanks!

Rene

Hi there,

We appreciate that you are interested to upgrade to the latest version.

First of all, next generation GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET API (starting version 3.0.0) is a back end document processing API in which front end has been disintegrated. As it has become a back end API, you can use it in your projects (i-e desktop apps, web apps, web services etc.) in a very simplified way as per your requirements. For more details on what has changed, please visit Migration Notes.

Secondly, to run the example projects, you will have to add references of the required assemblies to get rid of any errors. You can do it in the following way.

1. Open project in Visual Studio
  2. Right click on solution and select “Enable NuGet Package Restore” and click "Yes"
  3. Right click on solution and select "Manage NuGet Packages for Solution"
  4. Click “Restore” button to install missing assemblies
  5. Build solution

Yes, you can render basic office files into HTML using the latest GroupDocs.Viewer API. Please have a look at the Supported Formats. To see how to render documents into HTML, please visit Rendering Documents into HTML.

As the front end has been disintegrated from the API, we have developed some open source document viewer applications using next generation GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET. Below are the applications along with their download links.

We have also developed a sample front end application with implementation of basic features provided by the latest API. You can download it from below link to understand how to create a basic document viewer application using next generation GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET API.

In case of any further question, please feel free to ask.

Warm Regards