FatalExecutionEngineError when using GroupDocs Conversion together with Viewer in .NET

Since GroupDocs.Viewer update 21.8 it seems no longer possible to use GroupDocs.Conversion in the same project.

If you open the attached solution and try to convert the attached file, you will see the “FatalExecutionEngineError” error.
Please make sure to restore the NuGet packages and adjust all file paths if needed.
Although I attached some file, the issue is not limited to a single file and seems to be a general problem.

Downgrading GroupDocs.Viewer to 21.7 fixes the issue.
Downgrading GroupDocs.Conversion to 21.5 does not fix the issue.
I don’t know what’s the problem, but it seems like GroupDocs.Viewer is somehow causing it.

Can you please take a look?
GroupDocsProblem.zip (11.8 KB)

Hi @Clemens_Pestuka

I got your application and investigating your problem.
I will notify you in case of any information.

1 Like

Hi @Clemens_Pestuka

I reproduced your issue and I have a workaround for this:

1. Open GroupDocsProblem.csproj
  2. On line 64:
    <HintPath>..\packages\GroupDocs.Viewer.21.8.0\lib\net40\GroupDocs.Viewer.dll</HintPath>
    Change to:
    <HintPath>..\packages\GroupDocs.Viewer.21.8.0\lib\net20\GroupDocs.Viewer.dll</HintPath>
  3. Save GroupDocsProblem.csproj
  4. Close project and reopen

I created VIEWERNET-3490 in our tracking system to investigate how to avoid this situation.

Please reply about the result of solution.

1 Like

Hi @mikhail.evgrafov.aspose

I can confirm that this is the source of the problem and that correcting the hintpath fixes the issue :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot for the quick fix!

1 Like

@Clemens_Pestuka

You’re welcome!

1 Like

Hi @mikhail.evgrafov.aspose ,

I’m running into the “FatalExecutionEngineError” again.
GroupDocs.Conversion 22.2 only comes with “net35” now, which does not mix with the “net20” package from GroupDocs.Viewer 22.1.1.

Looks like using “net40” for GroupDocs.Viewer works fine now. (which previously caused the issue in the first place).
Can you please give me an official confirmation that mixing those version is safe to use?
Or is there something else I can do?

Hi @Clemens_Pestuka

We’re testing all our products before release for compatibility.
Unfortunately, we can’t test all the use cases so in case you are experiencing any issues when using multiple GroupDocs products let us know and we’ll try to resolve such issues as soon as possible.
Also we plan to stop delivering .NET Framework 2.0 assemblies in the near future, this applies to all GroupDocs products.

@mikhail.evgrafov.aspose
Thank you for the quick reply.
I don’t need .NET Framework 2.0 explicitly.
If Conversion with 3.5 works and Viewer with 4.0 works, then that’s fine for me too.
I just wanted to get a confirmation for that. So is this combination safe to use?

@Clemens_Pestuka

Yes, it should be safe to use this combination.

1 Like

Thank you :+1:

@Clemens_Pestuka

You’re welcome!

@Clemens_Pestuka

This topic is quite old. But at the moment the proper solution for this issue would be using GroupDocs.Total for .NET package that contains both GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET and GroupDocs.Conersion for .NET.

1 Like