Font Embedding for pdf

Hi Team,

I tried the docx to pdf conversion with custom fonts support and noticed that the fonts subsets are getting embedded into pdf. I have couple of questions related to this functionality

1. Does groupdocs recommend to embedd custom fonts in the docx itself so that the pdf conversion does not require the font resource. Or, its better to provide a font directory path containing all the font files?

2. Is there a possibility that the embedded font subsets can be extracted from the pdf file and can be used?

3. Is there any way we can set a preference if we dont want the converted pdf to have embedded font subsets?

Regards
Swati

Hi @kswati2206, thanks for your questions, let us prepare the answers, I will update you soon.

@kswati2206 thanks for your waiting.

1. GroupDocs does not explicitly recommend one method over the other in all scenarios, but generally, it is advisable to provide a font directory path containing all the font files. This ensures that all custom fonts used in the document are available during the conversion process. By specifying the font directory path in the conversion options, you can avoid issues related to font availability and ensure the PDF conversion retains the intended font styles​

2. Extracting embedded font subsets from a PDF file is technically possible, but it is not straightforward and often not recommended due to legal and technical complexities. PDF viewers typically embed only the necessary characters (subsets) of a font, which means you might not get the complete font set. Additionally, fonts embedded in PDFs are often protected by licensing agreements that prohibit extraction and reuse

3. Currently this is not possible, but could be added as an options in future .