GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET questions

Hello. I want to know whether GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET supports Mono or Xamarin. And, Can i view document in app’s sandbox(for example, pdf, docx etc.) with the library.(as is : render and show document locally) Thanks a lot.

This message was posted using Email2Forum by JohnOwensGroupDocs. (private)

Hello Zhang,

Thank you for showing interest in GroupDocs.Viewer.

The new GroupDocs.Viewer is a UI-less API exposing only UI-less+back end document rendering APIs in which object oriented approach has been implemented in a very simplified way.

Users can mold the output according to there requirements. Also the API can be used in restful/web/wcf services and those services can be used anywhere either in mobile apps or in any other platform.

Please find below some resources to quickly get started:

GroupDocs.Viewer Downloads: http://groupdocs.com/Community/files/8/.net-libraries/groupdocs_viewer_for_.net/category1002.aspx
GroupDocs.Viewer Docs: http://groupdocs.com/docs/display/viewernet
GroupDocs.Viewer Examples: https://github.com/groupdocsviewer/GroupDocs_Viewer_NET
GroupDocs.Viewer Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgO8dwgI5KAsQCVegviVXYA/playlists

Thanks in advance
Hi Zhang,

zhangchunliang:
Hello. I want to know whether GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET supports Mono or Xamarin.

We have not fully tested GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET on Mono or Xamarin. We'll perform some investigation and let you know but most likely it does not support Mono for all document formats. We'll share more information soon after detailed investigation. Please stay tuned.

Best Regards
Hi Zhang

We have tested GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET on Mono. As a result, following are the file formats which are supported by the API on Mono or Xamarin.

• MPP
  • MHTML
  • VDX
  • VSD
  • VSS
  • VST
  • VTX
  • XLSB
  • XLSM
  • XPS
  • EML
  • MSG
  • BMP
  • GIF
  • PNG
  • JPG
  • ICO
  • XML
  • TXT
  • RTF
  • DOC
  • DOCX
  • DOT
  • DOCM
  • DOTX
  • XLS
  • PPT
  • ODT
  • PPS
  • ODS

Best Regards

Hi usman.aziz,

I’ve tried to use GroupDocsViewer in a Portable (PCL) Xamarin UWP - Project. I managed to reference the dlls, i found at your download-section. As soon, i start the Xamarin-UWP-App i get a ‘System.TypeLoadException’. It says, that it cannot load ‘System.Runtime.CompilerServices.SuppressIldasmAttribute’ from assembly ‘mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral’

I checked my sources and it seems to me, that this attribute is not available in the mscorlib that Xamarin uses. As it is working on Mono, it seems, there are problems with Xamarin. Can you check this out? Is there any way to Groupdocs with Xamarin?

Thank you very much for your help,
Regards,
Ivo

Hi Zhang,

Thanks for coming back to us.

In order to investigate the issue, we will require you to provide us the following details.

• Version of GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET you are using
  • Version of Xamarin
  • Operating System

We shall be looking forward to your response. Have a nice weekend ahead.

Warm Regards

Hi Usman Aziz,

thank you very much for your quick response.

We use Xamarin.Forms 2.3.3.175 (with Visual Studio Prof. 2015 + Xamarin Extension 4.2.2.6). Our Operating-System is Windows 10.

We have a Xamarin Crossplatform Solution with Portable Class Libraries (Part 3 - Setting up a Xamarin cross-platform solution - Xamarin | Microsoft Learn). in the UWP Solution we have a CustomRenderer where we want to use the Groupdocs-Viewer. So in the UWP (PCL)-Project, we tried to reference GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET 16.12.0 (DLLs only)

I hope, the Information is helpful. If necessary, I can provide you with an example solution.

Again, thank you very much in advance,
Best Regards, Ivo

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for sharing the required details with us.

Yes, it will be helpful to investigate the issue if you share the example solution with us. We shall be looking forward to your response.

Warm Regards

Here is our example-project.

It is a simple Crossplatform-Xamarin-PCL. It has a Master-Detail-Form, which has a “Filelist” (Master). When you select a file, then the detail should render it (as pdf.)

As we are only interested in the UWP-solution, we disabled all the other Projects (iOS, android…).

Before you start,
1. copy the GroupDocs.Viewer.dll (http://downloads.groupdocs.com/viewer/net/new-releases/groupdocs.viewer-for-.net-16.12.0-(dlls-only)/) into the directory .\externalLibs
2. do a package-restore: (use the “Update-Package –reinstall” Command in the Visual Studio 2015 Package-Manager-Console) -
then rebuild the App und start the DocViews.UWP-Project (make sure, you have the x86 Architecture selected)

Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards, Ivo

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for providing the detailed information.

Please spare us some time to investigate the issue at our end. We’ll share the results with you as early as possible.

Warm Regards

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for your cooperation.

We have successfully reproduced your reported issue at our end. The issue has been logged in our issue tracking system. We shall further do the investigation and in case we have any updates, we’ll keep you informed. We appreciate your patience in this regards.

Warm Regards

Hi Usman Aziz,

thank you very much! I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Ivo

Hi Ivo,

You are always welcome.

Warm Regards

Hello Usman Aziz,

have you found time to analyze the problem, i sketched in the above example project? If there is any news, I am looking forward hearing from you.

Again thank you very much in advance,
Best regards, Ivo

Hi Ivo,

Thanks for coming back.

GroupDocs.Viewer doesn’t support PCL Xamaring UWP. Yes, you can add reference to GropuDocs.Viewer dll but it doens’t mean that you can use it because framework doesn’t provide all required types and as an example it doesn’t provide SuppressIldasmAttribute type".

In case of any other question, please feel free to let us know.

Warm Regards