GroupDocs Viewer support Compact2013 (.NET Compact version 3.9)

I am working on a project that uses Windows Embedded Compact 2013 (WEC2013) for its operating system.

We have a requirement to render pdf documents. The application we run on the os is written mostly in .NET with some native libraries where necessary. The version of .NET that is on WEC2013 is .NET Compact Framework 3.9 (.NET Compact Framework (Compact 2013)).

I was wondering if we could use the GroupDocs Viewer to render pdf documents?
Could it be adapted to work with .NET Compact Framework?

Regards,
Brian Wallis | Firmware Engineer | O: 801-708-6621
Beijer Electronics, Inc.

Hello Brian,

Thank you for your interest in GroupDocs. The answer depends on what exactly you want to build using GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET. The main destination of the GroupDocs.Viewer is to be used in the ASP.NET web-applications. In that case ASP.NET framework is required for development and IIS for hosting a web-site. This approach is definitely not suitable for the Windows Embedded Compact 2013 OS, because .NET Compact Framework doesn’t support ASP.NET at all.

Another way of using GroupDocs.Viewer is to use it in the WinForms desktop application. This approach may work, because .NET Compact Framework supports WinForms applications in general. But we cannot guarantee this statement, because we never tried to use GroupDocs.Viewer in such environments. Unfortunately we’ve never received such requests, and as a result we never worked on it.
There is a “Sample Demos” package; it is a solution that contains several projects. One of them - “Groupdocs.WinForms.Viewer.Sample” project. As it can be told from its title, this project demonstrates the usage of the GroupDocs.Viewer in the WinForms application. So you can try this project in your environment

If you will have more questions please feel free to contact us.

Update. GroupDocs.Viewer may work in the self-hosting environment, without requiring the IIS web-server. Our developers can make it work as a WCF-service, so it will be independent from the IIS. But, in any case, please specify your requirements, what exactly you want to build using the GroupDocs.Viewer?

I will download the demo and give GroupDocs.Viewer in WinForms.

I’ll later with my status.

When I try to add the reference file Groupdocs.Viewer.dll into my WEC2013 project, I get the following error: “A reference to a higher version or imcompatible assembly cannot be added to the project”.

So Groupdocs.Viewer.dll would probably need to be rebuild for the .NET Compact Framework.

Hello,

We are sorry to hear that you have such issue. We will investigate this and if it will be possible we will rebuild our library for your platform.

We will notify you with the results ASAP via reply in this thread.

Thank you