Inquiry related to Mapping Annotations and Markups to Database backend

Hi. I came across the groupdocs website today and demo'd some of the functionality. This appears to be functionality that I've been searching for but looking for further confirmation. My interest in groupdocs is related to a system design proposal that would house and document (via database relationship), in detail, all of the artifacts w/ in our executed customer agreements. At this point, this project is on my own initiative and time and I am collecting information for plausible solutions. Below is a brief overview of functionality and the requirements I'm looking to fulfill:

Overview of Desired Functionality:

All of our PDF agreements are created from printed and signed documents which are scanned and OCR'd. Quality of the documents vary widely.. Essentially a user would open one of these PDF agreements and begin annotating specific artifacts of an agreement (such as contract#, parties involved, products involved, key events/dates, Fees, etc). As the user annotates any specific artifact (possibly by highlighting it or circling it), an API is called and the user is prompted for aspects of identification such as [Artifact Type] <>, [Artifact Value], [Artifact Group (Y/N)], [Artifact Group Name]. The users responses are passed to a Database and corresponding values A and B are passed back to the client interface. Corresponding values A and B are updated in PDF respectively as a Hyperlink value and display text for the annotation just created.

Requirements:

1. Ability to Markup/Annotate PDF documents (obviously Groupdocs api covers this).

2. Ability to prompt user for relative information (free text fields, combo-box, multi-select, etc) at the time of creation of any single Markup/Annotation. Data from prompts ultimately stored in Database (i.e. SQL Server).

3. Ability to update annotation text or a markup based on database generated field value.

4. Ability to update annotation with a hot spot type hyperlink in the actual PDF based on a database generated field value. (Is this possible?).

This message was posted using Email2Forum by adam.skelton. (private)

Hello Jim,

Thank you for your interest in GroupDocs. We have several versions of GroupDocs.Annotation: standalone versions for .NET and Java. Also we have Cloud API version. For you the best way is to evaluate GroupDocs.Annotation and check if it match your requirements, is to observe live demo (.NET & Java Document Automation APIs | GroupDocs) or, register at http://apps.groupdocs.com and obtain a 15-day free trial.

Returning to your requirements. We have read it carefully and must say that GroupDocs.Annotation is not the only solution for you. GroupDocs.Signature is also suitable: it also allows upload PDFs (and other formats too), and has much wider set of tools (like different types of text fields, checkboxes, comboboxes, buttons, date pickers and so on).

GroupDocs.Annotation stores all annotations in the database, in particular, in the SQL Server. In other hand, GroupDocs.Signature stores all annotations in the JSON storage, which presented in a form of file.

Also please describe in details last two items from your requirements list.

Again, we suggest you to register at http://apps.groupdocs.com and try GroupDocs.Annotation and GroupDocs.Signature (along with all other products) for free during 15-day trial. Live experience is much more useful than words.

Returning to your requirements. We have read it carefully and must say that GroupDocs.Annotation is not the only solution for you. GroupDocs.Signature is also suitable: it also allows upload PDFs (and other formats too), and has much wider set of tools (like different types of text fields, checkboxes, comboboxes, buttons, date pickers and so on).

GroupDocs.Annotation stores all annotations in the database, in particular, in the SQL Server. In other hand, GroupDocs.Signature stores all annotations in the JSON storage, which presented in a form of file.

Thanks for your reply. It would appear that the annotations product (as apposed to the signature product) would better suit my application as it stored on SQL server and can collect data relative to each annotation a user makes. But the fact that it doesn't allow combo-boxes, etc would cause it not to be a candidate.

Also please describe in details last two items from your requirements list.

This query was answered via email.