PDF comparison not working in trial version of Comparison for Java

On the Licensing page for GroupDocs.Comparison for Java, under the “Free Trial” heading, this sentence appears: “Only first 2 pages can be processed.” I downloaded the free trial of Comparison 23.5 using Maven and implemented the simple example shown at the bottom of the page Java High Code API to Compare Documents & Extract Information. I tested it using two short PDF files, both no longer than one page. The output file only contains one line when the first line in the documents is a heading, and only one and a half lines when the first lines are part of a paragraph. The input files are both longer than that.

To make sure this wasn’t due to anything I did or missed, I also cloned the GroupDocs.Comparison-for-Java/ repo and built and ran the examples app. It also failed to compare the complete PDF documents distributed with the example app. Instead, the output document contains only the part of the first line from both documents that did not change, and that part appears twice. I have attached the document.

Is the documentation that states that the trial version of Compare can be used to compare two pages incorrect, or is there a different problem? If the latter, what needs to be fixed, and is it something I can do?

Please note that the example app when running CompareMultipleDocumentsPath.compareMultipleDiagramDocuments. The error message is below. This did not affect my test, but I thought you may want to be aware of it.

Exception in thread "main" com.groupdocs.comparison.common.exceptions.b.b: An error occurred while trying to create a document. Try to use setUseSourceMaster(true) with custom value for getUserMasterPath(...).
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.c.i.b.c(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.c.i.gg(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.c.i.gf(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.c.i.a(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.Comparer.b(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.Comparer.a(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.Comparer.compare(Unknown Source)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.examples.advanced_usage.comparison.CompareMultipleDocumentsPath.compareMultipleDiagramDocuments(CompareMultipleDocumentsPath.java:147)
	at com.groupdocs.comparison.examples.RunExamples.main(RunExamples.java:198)

Update: I obtained a temporary license to use the full-featured version of Comparison. Using the license resolved the problems I described. It appears that the documentation needs to be updated to indicate the expected behavior when comparing PDFs in the trial version. In addition, I discovered only by experimentation that there are separate classes for loading the license for Comparison and Conversion. Is there a way to load the license once for all products that it covers?

1 Like

@bhoughton

We will surely look into this and update documentation accordingly.

You have to apply licenses separately.