Problems with open source viewer component

L.S.

We have recently begun the prcess of purchasing a GroupDocs.Viewer licence and were hoping to have an easy integration for the price. Unfortunately, we ran into some issues. It turned out that the viewer component was no longer part of the package and had been open sourced; Also, it turned out that the most feature-rich viewer component in the open source package, the legacy one as in the MVC integration showcase, has issues. For example, our main problem, any converted .msg file is incorrectly displayed. A team member found that adding css like:

.doc-page { width: 100% !important; height: auto !important; overflow: visible !important; } .html_page_contents { .transform: scale(1) !important; }

…fixes the display issue, but breaks some other scenarios.

Also, I have been seeing instances of javascript errors when trying to zoom or page with the buttons.

As there seems no solution available online, I would like to ask you to see if you might have a solution. Unfortunately, I cannot distribute our code, but I found the MVC Integration solution from the GitHub project showcases has the same behavior. We just created a simple email with an embedded image and saved it from MS Office and it also breaks in that demo.

Do you know if there is any viewer as feature-rich, or do you know how to fix this problem in the legacy viewer? Or am I stuck now having to rebuild a viewer myself?

Kind regards,

Maarten A

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for taking interest in GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET.

Yes, GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET is a standalone, back-end document rendering API that renders the supported document formats into either HTML pages or images as per user’s choice. You will have to create your own front end application to view/display those rendered document pages. Another choice is to use the open source document viewer applications powered by GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET available as Showcases in GitHub repository. You can modify these applications as per your requirements.

To reproduce the issue with the .msg file at our end, we’ll require you to provide us that problematic file. Also, please provide us the details of the JavaScript errors you are getting while zooming any document page.

We shall be looking forward to your response.

Warm Regards

The issues you have found earlier (filed as VIEWERNET-1094) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by groupdocs.notifier.

Dear all,

Let’s start with the most pressing issue at the moment: mangled msg files in the legacy viewer.

I have attached a ZIP file containing one of our test msg files (generated from Outlook 2013), and two screenshots showing behavior of unmodified “Legacy/MVC” and “New” viewer demo’s with this file. We had integrated the “legacy/mvc” version because of all the extra features, hence this test.

It seems something in the CSS and/or javascript of the legacy viewer is mangling the layout of the document on the client side. As you can see, the “New” viewer does not have this issue.

Has anyone seen this behavior from these vanilla builds and maybe found a fix? I think it is strange that this only seems to happen with msg files and not with anything else. Also, having or not having the licence and trial badge seems to make no difference. I guess it must be something else.

Behavior is identical in IE11 and Chrome 52.

For the JS errors, I am working on comparing the showcase project behavior with our integration. Obviously, I will only complain about things that appear in both or have a clear cause. Will get back to you on that.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Maarten A

Hi Matreen,

Thanks for providing the details.

We have investigated your issue and found that the problem is when the rendered HTML file is displayed in the front end viewer application. However, the back-end API is rendering the file perfectly. Therefore, we have logged it in our GitHub issues as https://github.com/groupdocs-viewer/GroupDocs.Viewer-for-.NET/issues/110. We shall look into it and in case of any updates, we’ll inform you. You can also keep track of the issue in the above mentioned link.

Warm Regards

Hi Marteen,

Thanks for being patient,

After further investigation of the issue related to .msg file, we found that when setting options.IsResourcesEmbedded = false; the API does not concatenate the HTML resource prefix with the image path and therefore the image doesn’t load in the output. The fix of this issue will be available in the upcoming release of GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET. However, a temporary fix has been incorporated in the ASP.NET_MVC_Front_End application. Please download the updated source code from the GitHub repository and share your experience.

Warm Regards <span style=“background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-size: 14px; white-space: nowrap; color: rgb(3, 102, 214); font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, “Segoe UI”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif, “Apple Color Emoji”, “Segoe UI Emoji”, “Segoe UI Symbol”;”>