Questions about: File type- saving- and file source

1. When looking over the GroupDocs.com website, I didn’t see the list of 50+ file types it can display. What file types can it work with? Can it display video files?

2) Can GroupDocs Viewer be configured to display a document but prevent the document from being saved, downloaded, printed, copied, etc?

3) Can GroupDocs be configured to read/display a file from a byte array or a VARBINARY(MAX) filed from an SQL database?

Hi there,

Thanks for taking interest in GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET.

1) When looking over the GroupDocs.com website, I didn’t see the list of 50+ file types it can display. What file types can it work with? Can it display video files?

We apologize that GroupDocs.Viewer does not work with video files. To see the complete list of the supported file types, please visit this link.

2) Can GroupDocs Viewer be configured to display a document but prevent the document from being saved, downloaded, printed, copied, etc?

GroupDocs.Viewer is a back-end document rendering API that renders the source file into either HTML pages or images as per user’s choice. You can then view these rendered HTML pages or images in your front end application. As the document is converted in the form of HTML or images therefore the end user can not save or download the original document. Furthermore, you can limit the user to print and copy the document content in the front end of the application.

3) Can GroupDocs be configured to read/display a file from a byte array or a VARBINARY(MAX) filed from an SQL database?

Yes, you can. GroupDocs.Viewer also supports working with file streams. In your case, you can convert the byte array into file stream and then use that stream to render it in the form of HTML or image.

In case you would have any other question, feel free to let us know.

Warm Regards

Hello Usman,

Thank you for the quick reply. I downloaded and installed the groupdocs.viewer_17.5.0-net.msi and I downloaded the examples (GroupDocs.Viewer-for-.NET-master.zip), but when I try to compile and run the Visual Basic example in Visual Studio 2013, it is unable to resolve any of the references. (It can’t even find the System.* or Microsoft.* libraries).

Is there something special I need to do in order to get this demo program working?

This seems to be a Windows example. Does GroupDocs have a .NET “Web Application” example?

Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your issues with us.

In fact, the Example projects are the console applications which are developed to provide you the source code examples of each feature of the back-end GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET API. Please follow below steps to resolve references issue:

• Open solution in Visual Studio
  • Right click on solution and press "Enable NuGet package Restore"
  • Right click on solution and press "Manage NuGet packages for Solution"
  • Press “Restore” button
  • Build the project

We have also developed some open source document viewer web applications for the users to understand the working of the API. As the applications are open source, you can use them as they are or modify them as per your requirements. You can find these applications in Showcase section of the GitHub repository.

In case you would have any other issues, please do let us know.

Warm Regards