Several issues with converting pptx

Hello, since we are moving more towards cloud-based solutions, we are running our pdf converter using the groupdocs conversion nuget (latest version/dotnetcore). as a an azure webjob (service plan Premium v2 P1V2, so not so light). Mostly everything goes smooth allthough we notice a serious performance drawback when converting powerpoint files.

1. For example, the conversion of the file (BizzMine IDP – Duende.pptx) takes ages (more than 10minutes). We tried converting this file on a VM too and the same problem occurs. CPU and Memory usage go straight up. Also, the output PDF is more thant 30 times bigger than the orginal PPTX.

2. Another document (12. Organization Chart.pptx) does not have this performance issue but then again a non-default font is not getting replaced by Arial (as set as property for PresentationLoadOptions.DefaultFont = “Arial”). It seems this is not applied? The PDF output shows like text with lots of spacing…

Thanks a lot for the assistance,

please find the documents here: WeTransfer - Send Large Files & Share Photos Online - Up to 2GB Free

1 Like

@Verthosa

Could you please share the conversion code or a sample console application using that issue could be reproduced? It’d be great if you could also share a short video/screencast, explaining steps to reproduce the issue.

Hi Atir,

i’m sorry (but happy also) to say the issues apparantly went away mysteriously. Today the conversion of the first file finishes in 2 minutes (which can be acceptable). Also the font issues are solved.

Both conversions we did through the webjob now went good.

I have no idea what has changed,

sorry in having disturbed you

if the issues comes back i try to take a screencast and come back to you,

Alas, see underneath

I just found out that the issue of taking a long time, high CPU/RAM and big filesize is because of setting the pdfformat to PdfFormats.PdfA_1A. We use this code, so users can set the pdfA format to their needs. If i convert towards this PdfA_1A, alls takes ages and filesize are very big…

Is this a known problem?

converter.Convert(() => output, new PdfConvertOptions()
{
    MarginBottom = 0,
    MarginLeft = 0,
    MarginRight = 0,
    MarginTop = 0,

PdfOptions = {
         PdfFormat = properties.SetPdfACompliant ?  PdfFormats.PdfA_1A : PdfFormats.Default,

OptimizationOptions = {
            CompressImages = false,
            ImageQuality = 100
        },
        Zoom = 100
    }
});

We do log the conversion times and such, and we can see here that it took like 7 minutes for converting a quite simple PPT

image.png (4.6 KB)

When using a random docx and settings the PDFA compliance, this issue does not happen.

Could you please try to reproduce converting that bizzmine idp - duende.pptx to pdf with PDFA compliance as format ?

Also, the font that changes in the second document i initially posted (12. Organization Chart.pptx) is also caused by setting the PDFA compliance format… I don’t know if that is normal?

@Verthosa
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): CONVERSIONNET-6458

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

For your information, this is part of the stacktrace when trying to convert that pptx on our VM:

GroupDocs.Conversion.Exceptions.GroupDocsConversionException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
   at n.()
   at GroupDocs.Conversion.Converter.()
   at GroupDocs.Conversion.Converter.Convert(Func`1 document, ConvertOptions convertOptions)
1 Like

@Verthosa

Thanks for the details.