Unable to see Groupdocs.Web namespace nor able to set my temporary license

Hello,

I downloaded the groupdocs viewer product and installed it in my machine. Requested for a temporary license and I received it.
I am referring to the following URL since I am trying to do a proof of concept of get a SqlFileStream object and display it in the groupdocs viewer in an ASP.NET MVC application.
http://www.groupdocs.com/docs/display/viewernet/How+to+Use+GroupDocs.Viewer+with+Streams+in+ASP.NET+MVC+or+WebForms+Projects

I am running into the following issues:
- Unable to set the path for the temporary license file.
- Added the assembly Groupdocs.Viewer.dll (assembly) but the namespace Groupdocs.web is missing.

I would really appreciate if you could tell me if I am missing something.

thanks,
Santhi

Hi Santhi,

Thanks for taking interest in GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET.

You are facing the issues because of using DLL of next generation GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET API with the source code of a legacy version of the application which is obsolete now.

Before moving further, please note that the next generation GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET (starting from v3.0.0) is a back-end API that renders the supported document formats into HTML pages or images. You will have to develop your own front end application in order to view the rendered HTML pages or images.

We have also provided some open source document viewer applications to demonstrate the working of the next generation API. You can download these open source applications from here. To evaluate the back-end features of the API, please download the example project that contains source code of all the features in the form of functions.

Furthermore, to know about how to render file stream using next generation GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET, please visit Working with Streams.

Some other useful resources to quickly get started with the API are:

In case of any other query, please feel free to let us know.

Warm Regards

Thank you, Usman. Appreciate your response.

I have a quick question. As part of the next generation GroupDocs Viewer for .NET, does it support SqlFileStream where I wanted to use the Groupdocs viewer to display the stream of data that I receive from the database directly.

One of your previous technical articles covered the topic of SqlFileStream in the following URL. Is it still valid or is it outdated?

http://www.groupdocs.com/docs/display/viewernet/How+to+Use+GroupDocs.Viewer+with+Streams+in+ASP.NET+MVC+or+WebForms+Projects

Thanks,
Santhi

Hi Usman,

I reviewed the code samples for ASP.NET_MVC_Front_End and I see the reference for the Groupdocs.Viewer.dll assembly. I also see a lot of added js (javascript) files and css files.

Question 1: Are these files are part of the groupdocs viewer product family?. Is there a nuget package that would add all the dependent files? since the product seems to be evolving and how as the customer to keep track of those continuous evolving changes?

Question 2: My requirement is really to use the groupdocs product to display the different types of document (like jgp, gif, excel, word) in the MVC application. Which product supports this feature? since I have these document ready to rendered in the view. Instead of developing it internally, I want to see if I can use Groupdocs product to integrate with my MVC application to display these document for the user to quickly review and then give the option to print / download if they wanted.

Please help since I am trying to evaluate the product to see if it would suit our requirement

Thanks,
Santhi

Hi Santhi,

Yes, GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET will definitely serve your requirements. Here are the answers of your questions.

Question 1: Are these files are part of the groupdocs viewer product family?. Is there a nuget package…

In the sample MVC application, JS and CSS files are not actually the part of the API. These files are used to create the front end UI application and display the rendered pages in the browser. The back-end GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET API is independent of all these files. GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET renders the source document into HTML pages or images and saves them on the disk in the user’s specified folder. Now, its up to you how you will display these rendered pages in your front end application. As the API is independent of front end design or architecture therefore, the evolution of the API would not have any effects on these JS or CSS files.

Question 2: My requirement is really to use the groupdocs product to display the different types of document (like jgp, gif, excel, word) in the MVC application. Which product supports this feature…

Yes, GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET would be the perfect API in your case. If you want to integrate the API in your own MVC application then we recommend you to check the features of the API one by one using the Example project. We have also created a simple front end application that demonstrates how you can render the source document using the API and then display it in your application. You can download this application and you will surely be able to quickly learn about the working of the API in any front end application.

I have a quick question. As part of the next generation GroupDocs Viewer for .NET, does it support SqlFileStream where I wanted to use the Groupdocs viewer to display the stream of data that I receive from the database directly.

GroupDocs.Viewer for .NET does not support SqlFileStream directly. However, you can achieve this by converting the bytes of SqlFileStream object into a Stream object and then use that stream in the API’s functions like this.

If you would have any confusion, please do let us know.

Warm Regards