Upgrade Issue: File reading error

We started receiving an error message about “File Reading Error” after upgrading from Conversion 16.10.1 to 17.4(Java). Data about occurrence frequency and stack trace below:

com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.t.bO: File reading error. Before Upgrade After Upgrade

Monday 9-11-2017 0 9-25-2107 2974
Tuesday 9-12-2017 0 9-26-2107 2766
Wednesday 9-13-2017 0 9-27-2107 2946
Thursday 9-14-2017 0 9-28-2107 2566
Friday 9-15-2017 0 9-29-2107 2112
Saturday 9-16-2017 0 9-30-2107 830
Sunday 9-17-2017 0 10-1-2107 2370

Stack Trace:
com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.t.bO: File reading error.
at com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.t.zr.j(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.t.zr.i(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.t.aQ.a(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.t.aQ.(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.foundation.a.b.l(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.foundation.a.b.a(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.foundation.a.b.e(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.conversion.handler.ConversionHandler.s(Unknown Source)
at com.groupdocs.conversion.handler.ConversionHandler.getSaveOptions(Unknown Source)

@jgorr,

Thank you for your inquiry.
Do you mean 17.3.0 version of the API? Because currently, it is the latest one.
Can you please share the sample code and problematic file with us? We’d like to further investigate the issue and share outcomes with you. Your cooperation shall be appreciated.

Here is a gist of the code that we use to send a file to the conversion lib:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/d644c9f6035c2d8544db5bc02f29cb3f

As far as a sample file goes I will reply again with a sample file or a few. This error occurred 20,000 times last week for our system.

Due to a logging issue(not including information about the source file) I cannot give you a sample file for this error. I will be changing logging to include such information and could possibly provide a sample later in the week. However, since this issue is new to 17.3 and fairly prevalent can you please investigate?

@jgorr,

We are required sample project and the problematic files in order to investigate the issue. Can you please share the concerned files/project with us? Your cooperation in this regard shall be appreciated.

Code shared above in the gist. I’ve explained the trouble with providing the sample file at this time. Surely there is some investigation that can be done in the interim.

@jgorr,

Alright, we’ll do the possible investigation using the sample code you provided.

Sample File: Review.potx.zip (522.7 KB)

@jgorr,

Thanks for sharing the problematic file. Can you please tell what exception do you face while converting the particular POTX file?
Is it like this:
class com.aspose.ms.System.ab: Trying to load unknown file type (potx)
Its been observed from the exception that potx format is not supported by the API. You can see the list of supported file formats here. We tried to convert same file using 16.10.1 version of the API and got same exception. However, we’re sharing it with the concerned team, if they can add potx format in some upcoming release of the API. As we get any update from them, we’ll notify you.

Ah yes, I notice the issue now. My apologies for the bad sample file. Here is another.Webmaster 7.xls.zip (143.8 KB)

I have noticed that many of the files that generate these errors are problematic documents. Can the error message be changed to something more descriptive or indicative of the issue? With the code obsfucation it is difficult to determine what an error such as this is getting at.

@jgorr,

We got following exception while converting the Worksheet you shared earlier using both 17.3.0 and 16.10.1 versions of the API:

Exception in thread "main" class com.groupdocs.foundation.exception.GroupDocsException: com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.c.z: This file's format is not supported or you don't specify a correct format. ---> com.groupdocs.conversion.internal.c.a.c.z: This file's format is not supported or you don't specify a correct format.

Hence, we’ve logged this issue in our issue tracking system with ID:CONVERSIONJAVA-446. As we get any update from the concerned team, we’ll apprise you.

@jgorr,

We got an update from the concerned team on issue ID:CONVERSIONJAVA-444. Please note that POTX and POTM formats are not yet supported by the API. However, these formats shall be supported in some upcoming release of the API and the release is expected in December. As it gets on-board, we’ll notify you. On the other hand your issue ID:CONVERSIONJAVA-446 is still under investigation. We’ll let you know about the outcomes ASAP.

@jgorr,

We got an update on CONVERSIONJAVA-446, Excel 95 format is not supported by the API. As far as your other issue CONVERSIONJAVA-444 (support of POTX, POTM formats) shall be resolved in 17.11 version of the API. As GroupDocs.Conversion for Java 17.11 gets on-board, we’ll notify you.

@jgorr,

Issue CONVERSIONJAVA-444 is resolved. Please use latest version of the API and share your feedback.