Very bad performance

Opening PDFs with many pages and text in it results in heavy cpu load (on server and client), freezes and timeouts and the document is not always shown. Also the browser memory usage rises more than 1GB (just by GroupDocs.Annotation). Minutes can pass until the first page is shown or a timeout message pops up. The browser is inresponsive or crashes while loading and afterwards.

Check documents like:

https://www.ilmenau.de/pdf/Aktenplan.pdf

http://www.wasserburg.de/de/stadtarchiv/bestaende/praesenzbibliothek/Bibliothek-Titelkatalog.pdf

The desc.js file in the temp/Processing folder gets very large with these files. Normally it’s 30KB (on single page files), with these files it’s 30MB.

The performance is still very bad if you reduce the preloaded pages by “.PreloadPageCount(2)”.

PDFJS has no problem with these files and shows them at once.

The IE11 performance is way worser than the Chrome or Firefox one.

The performance is inacceptable this way!

The PDF content must be shown within seconds, not minutes! And after loading the browser must be responsive!

Hello,

I’m sorry to hear that you faced with such issue. I have reproduced your behavior and created a ticket for our Product team. They will investigate and fix it. After that you will get notification about the fix here.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hi,

I was hoping for a better performance in GroupDocs.Annotation 3.

Unfortunately documents with many pages still have a very poor performance in my tests.

The performance is the main criteria for a maintenance extension for us.

Can you tell something about the performance road map?

Many thanks in advance!

Phil

Hi,

Thank you for giving a try to our Next Generation GroupDocs.Annotation API.

We are sorry to hear that you are facing such issue. GroupDocs.Annotation 3.0.0 is Next Generation API which is UI-less and Object Oriented Approach is used where we providing all core functionalists with more efficient way in initial releases and upgrading it gradually.
As you raised slow performance issue which is directly dependent upon used input file and hardware specs also. As far as performance of API concern kindly provide us sample files used and kindly share your sample code if possible or tell us that are you using our sample code available on GitHub? this information will help us in reproducing this issue at our end and then we can help you more specifically.

Warm Regards,

Hi,

just take a look at my first post. I gave examples for PDFs with bad performance, even with superb cpu/gpu power.

Check large PDFs (>100 pages and much text - like phone invoices) and compare the time until it opens (or crashes) to PDFJS.

PDFJS will take less than a second (what is a good performance), while GroupDocs can take minutes or crash (what is inacceptable for RIAs).

The issue is already reviewed. So I just would like to know when there will be a solution for it.

Regards,

Phil

Hi,

Thank you for sharing details information, I am creating ticket to product team for this issue again. We hope this issue will be resolved in next upcoming release.We apologize for the delays. Once we get any update from product team we will inform you here.

Thank you for your patience.

Warm Regards

Hello,

I’ve seen some progress regarding the performance in the new release.

But large files still can result in non-responding frontends.

Other annotation solutions solve this issue by not loading all pages into the DOM. Just the one(s) displayed. That results in an excellent UI responsiveness.

Will this issue be solved within the next releases?

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thank you for coming back to GroupDocs.Annotation forum.

I’ve seen some progress regarding the performance in the new release.

But large files still can result in non-responding frontends.
Can you share the details regarding which API version you tried ?

Will this issue be solved within the next releases?

GroupDocs has launched complete new range of APIs which is UI-less and more flexible. In every new release of Next Generation GroupDocs.Annotations for .NET API we are introducing more document formats and better performance.We recommend that use our Latest GroupDocs.Annotation API.

Please find below some useful resources to quickly get started with GroupDocs.Annotation API.

If you will need any help or you
will have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Warm Regards

Hi Muhammad,

I was testing the performance with the latest API, as mentioned. Also online at apps.groupdocs.com.

The browser (especially IE11) still freezes/hangs up/shows errors when trying to render PDFs with 500-1000 pages of text.

That’s because GroupDocs tries to render all pages (held in the DOM).

There would be a great performance boost (no permanent freeze/UI errors) if only the visible pages were held in the DOM.

That’s something you should discuss with the developers, because GroupDocs still cannot be used with large files (many pages).

Further investments in GroupDocs depend on a solution to this issue.

Best regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thank you for sharing your concerns and suggestions.

We will definitely discuss it with our product team and will share your suggestions. Once we get any update from product team regarding this performance issue we will inform you here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Warm Regards,