View documents in Android Device

Hi,

I’m trying to understand how Groupdocs HTML5 Viewer works and create a quick Android demo to check if it works.

Here is my scenario : User will choose a document locally from their Android Device and I want to preview the selected file. I thought I could do it inside an Android WebView with an iFrame.

Can someone point me to a tutorial or a quick start guide where I can use your cloud API to preview files in Android ?

We will most likely go with the .Net on-premise solution to implement it in our back-end but if there is a way to have a quick demonstration that would be really helpful in order to evaluate your products.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Best,
Okan.

Hi Okan,

Thank you for showing your interest in our products.

As you stated.
Here is my scenario : User will choose a document locally from their Android Device and I want to preview the selected file. I thought I could do it inside an Android WebView with an iFrame.
Please confirm that what is your preferable way to implement your scenario.
Either do you want to use our cloud API? Or do you want to use our GroupDocs.Viewer 3.x UI less back end API?
The back end API will help you to create your own Restful/web services which can be easily consumed by your Android/mobile phone applications.

Below are the useful resources about the usage and examples of GroupDocs.Viewer 3.x. These may help you to get an easy ride.

GroupDocs.Viewer Downloads: http://groupdocs.com/Community/files/8/.net-libraries/groupdocs_viewer_for_.net/category1002.aspx
GroupDocs.Viewer Docs: http://groupdocs.com/docs/display/viewernet
GroupDocs.Viewer Examples: https://github.com/groupdocsviewer/GroupDocs_Viewer_NET
GroupDocs.Viewer Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgO8dwgI5KAsQCVegviVXYA/playlists

Warm Regards!

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the information. We will most likely go with the GroupDocs.Viewer. So we can implement our own services in our back end.

But all of the examples above include back end implementation. I wanna know if there is a way to make demonstration in Android without back-end involvement. is it possible ?

Best,
Okan.

Hi Okan,

Thank you for the explanation.

As you stated:
So we can implement our own services in our back end
It shows that you want our GroupDocs.Viewer 3.0 UI Less API.
But as you stated:
I wanna know if there is a way to make demonstration in Android without back-end involvement.
In this regard. Please clarify that do you want HTML5 based responsive front end which would consume your implemented restful services?

Thank you.

Hi Muhammad,

We are interested in on-premise solution where we can handle the back-end services ourself.

But before making a decision, whether we want to use it or not, I want to see how it will look like in Android and test it’s performance and functionality. So in order to do that, I would like to know if you already have something ready-to-use, e.g your cloud API, that I can implement only the client side and see document previews right away.

I hope this one is more clear.

Best,
Okan.

Hi Okan,

Thank you for your clarification.

In fact, currently we don’t have a sample android application . However, we’ll include this requirement in our future plans.If you are interested to use our UI based cloud API then please create a new thread by specifying Cloud API along with the requirements.
Moreover, the Groupdocs.viewer 3.x back-end API is very much flexible and providing a simple and generic rendered output in the form of HTML content (in the case of HTML representation) or in the of image stream (in the case of Image representation).

Many Thanks!

Hi Muhammad,

We actually don’t need a sample Android Application. In fact, I’m going to make one myself just to see how it will look like within our existing Android App.

So what I need is a ready-to-use back-end with it’s API documentation in order to use it in my sample application. E.g, I could use an API endpoint to upload the document and then fetch it back either in a form of HTML content or in the form of an image file.

I don’t really know if your UI based cloud API has same capabilities with your on-premise solution. If it’s, then I can use it to test it within my android application.

Could you provide more details if it’s possible.

Thanks,
Okan.

Hello Okan,

Thank you for your response,

As you stated:
So what I need is a ready-to-use back-end with it’s API documentation in order to use it in my sample application. E.g, I could use an API endpoint to upload the document and then fetch it back either in a form of HTML content or in the form of an image file.
For this purpose you can use WebForm Front End example. Apparently, this example shows an aspx page but in its code behind file the web methods has been written which are doing as following steps

1) Accepts the JSON object.
2) Map the JSON object with Business Object.
3) Returns the Json encoded Business object.

You can see in GroupdocsViewer.all.js to know that how the web methods has been called. Moreover, your requirement has been brought up in our notice. We will do work over it soon.

Thank you

Hi Muhammed,

I just checked out the sample project. It’s not easy to find out which methods and objects are responsible for these calls that you mentioned, since I’m not neither a .net nor a front-end developer.

If you have a Java project, which I can understand more clearly and which will be less time-consuming for us, would be a perfect fit. Otherwise, It doesn’t seem possible to make a demonstration in Android. Unless, you point-out each calls with all of the parameters required in order to complete these 3 steps that you mentioned in your previous post.

Best,
Okan.

Hi Okan,

Thank you for your response.

We have implemented a sample project in java in which just Html representation has been implemented. This is a spring mvc project. I believe that it would be helpful for you.

Please click here to download the project.

Cheers!

Hi Muhammad,

Thanks for the sample project. I will try to work on it as soon as I can and let you know how it did go.

Best,
Okan.

All the best :slight_smile: