Free Support Forum - groupdocs.com

View file using GroupDocs.Viewer without uploading file into GroupDocs.Viewer repository or server

Is GroupDocs.Viewer able to show file
content without keeping the file in its repository or server?

I mean I have a file in different server and I just wanted to see the file using GroupFocs.Viewer but do not want to keep that file in your GroupDocs.Viewer server

Hi Sobham,

Thanks for taking interest in our product.

Please note that when the documents are converted into images or html files, they must be saved somewhere to be loaded in the viewer. GroupDocs.Viewer provides the feature to keep the files (converted into html or images) in a cache directory and remove cache files when they are not required anymore. You can try our demo projects to understand the working of the API. Below are the links to our open source sample front end applications.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Warm Regards

Hello Team,
I am more interested to know about the source file. For an example: I would like to view pdf file by ‘GroupDocs.Viewer’. Do I need to upload this pdf file to ‘GroupDocs.Viewer’?

Thanks & Regards,
Sobham Saha

Hi Sobham.

Whenever you will access a file located on another server, it will be saved in temp files on the machine where GroupDocs.Viewer application is running. Then GroupDocs.Viewer will render the file into html or image. If the file is located on the same server (on which application is running), you will provide the absolute path and file will be accessed directly.

Please feel free to ask if anything is not clear.

Warm Regards

I have a requirement where i cannot give a storage path for a temp folder. In earlier version before 3.0 i tried using a stream, and it was not needed for a temp storage. Can i still use earlier ViewHandler and getViewerscripts where i dont need to give a temp path or storage path?

Hi Jivanjot,

Thanks for posting your query.

Please note that next generation GroupDocs.Viewer v3.x is different from older versions and you cannot use earlier versions’ code style in it. The API uses StoragePath and TempPath to process the document for rendering into images/html. Therefore, it is necessary to provide the StoragePath in configuration before performing any action.

If you have any further query, please let us know.

Warm Regards