Sign with USB Token

I want to sign a pdf document with GroupDocs Java, how can I complete this with Groupdocs Java library ?

1 Like

@trunkey2003

Please let us know which types of signatures you would like to use with the GroupDocs.Signature for Java API. You have a range of options available, including but not limited to digital signatures, text-based signatures, form-field signatures, and image-based signatures. By specifying your requirements, we can provide you with the necessary assistance tailored to your needs.

1 Like

@atir.tahir
I would like to sign with a Digital signature with my USB Token

@trunkey2003
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): SIGNATUREJAVA-2701

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

1 Like

Hi, @trunkey2003
Thank you for your interest in the Signature product. Please be aware that GroupDocs.Signature for Java is a standalone library that works with the given document and creates inside the document different signature artifacts like Text, Image, Barcode, QRCode, Digital, Form Field, Stamps
The Digital signature could be added to the document from the PFX Digital Certificate file format. This is the only way a digital signature could be added.
GroupDocs.Signature does not support external USB Tokens, same as any external devices because there are a lot of implementation standpoints and permission issues that could bring while accessing your hardware.
Usually, this is related to special software that uses SDK of the particular devices list.

If you can extract PFX file from your USB Token then the digital certificate is possible.
Also please be aware that mostly USB Token contains specific key or signature thumbprint but not a PFX digital certificate file when the digital document signing requires exact PCK12 format PFX.

Hope this will help to find best solution.
Please share if we can help more somehow.

1 Like

@atir.tahir @yuriy.mazurchuk
Thank you for your support

1 Like

@trunkey2003

You are welcome.

1 Like

Hello,

I’m not agree with you. You can use usb device with the CCID profile. Actually, all OS (Windows, MacOS, Linux) support usb CCID profile. This profile allow any computer to access digital certificate stored on a smartcard or usb plug without the need of any additional drivers.

If you plug this kind of usb device in windows, the certificate stored on the device is directly added to the windows keystore and you can use it from any application.

Regards

Stéphane GINER

Hello @sginer !

Thank you for this great idea!

We will try to investigate this opportunity within the next few days and get back to you ASAP!
Our internal ticket ref SIGNATUREJAVA-2759 and SIGNATURENET-4877.
We will get back to you with the investigation results.

Hello,

I done some tests, and we can’t sign documents because we can’t create PKCS#12 keystore with a wrapped certificate of a smart card.

Have you got an API who can sign pdf docs with java java.security.PrivateKey interface ?

I think you already extract PrivateKey object to sign doc in your API. It will be fine if you make a public sign function with PrivateKey object

Regards

Stéphane GINER

Hello, @sginer

Thank you for the update!

During this month we will publish new GroupDocs.Signature for Java release with a few changes that potentially could help you with your needs.

Let me share a few investigation results.
If your USB device driver implements Certificate Propagation Service (Certificate Propagation Service - Windows Security | Microsoft Learn) that should be part of CCID (from my understanding) then OS should ask you to migrate stored certificates to OS Key Store

SignWithDigitalAdvancedSpreadSheets.zip (1.2 KB)

In 23.10 release this was implemented in GroupDocs for .Net

and later this month we will publish the same feature for the Java release.

We will keep you posted with the updates within this and further weeks!
Thank you!